Monday, January 2, 2012

Paving the road to hell

"So, do you make New Year's resolutions?" Cindy asked sweetly and sincerely. "No," I replied with an intonation that clearly suggested, "Do I look like I make resolutions?" And so it began, the resolve, the decision and soon the complaining surrounding a New Year's resolution.

Cindy is very nice (as you will find out when she posts); so is Sheila. Me? Not so much. I rather like to complain. Actually by the time Cindy mentioned the resolution, she and Sheila had already decided to take action, so I had no chance against them.

This isn't even a huge resolution. That's part of the problem. It's realistic and manageable, so there will be no excuse for me to back out, as I am wont to do. Even this blog is intended to keep us motivated and on track. If people follow this blog, or heaven forfend, comment, there will be additional impetus for us to continue towards our goal.

So what is the goal? To walk. Not far. I thought Cindy was going to request we train for a marathon. Easy, "no." Then she said, "three." I thought she was going to say, "three-day walk." Again, "no, thanks." Then she said, "K." Damn. I can do a 3K walk. So I didn't agree exactly, but I was pretty positive in my response. Meanwhile my brain was whirling to figure out how I could avoid this act of responsibility and self-respect.

As soon as Cindy left, I cleared the teacups and began looking in earnest for chocolate and a tv remote, then I thought perhaps I could research 3K walk training on the internet and perhaps play some free cell. Then I thought perhaps I should take a walk. Oh no, it's starting. I asked my family if anyone wanted to take a walk and received a resounding "No" from all. Excuse one, check. Then I called Cindy, but she had already gone out spreading resolution cheer throughout the land. Cool. Excuse two, check. Then I called Sheila. She said, "Sure. I'd love to take a walk." I asked her to repeat her response because I was so counting on her unavailability that I was not quite paying attention. I tried to dissuade her, but she cheerfully assented. I so need new friends.

So Sheila and I took a walk. It was actually lovely. The weather was cold and grey, but had that nice wintry, snowy feel. We kept extending our walk because we were enjoying our conversation and so managed to walk for at least an hour. I'm actually glad I went, because, one, I feel better for having got some exercise, and, two, I'll probably get to complain tomorrow when I'm sore from walking so much after my years of inertia. Win-win.

So stay tuned. Cindy and Sheila should get equal time posting, so all the entries won't be whiny. We may even get others on board and add pictures and distance charts and buy new sneaks and lycra running gear and qualify for the senior olympics, but maybe not. At least today we took a walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment